Kampua Talk: Walking Down Memory Lane: Cheryl (Part 1)

Kampua Talk

Friday, May 11, 2007

Walking Down Memory Lane: Cheryl (Part 1)

When I was in Kuching, I met up with my best friend, Cheryl, whom I have known for 15 years.

Yours truly with childhood friend, Cheryl

We went out for a lim teh session after dinner one evening, just to catch up with each other. We last seen each other during Chinese New Year in Sibu and she's been so busy with her work ever since. As I was craving so badly for that particular drink I saw on someone's blog, we went to this place called Huising Hawker stall to talk cock.

The White Lady and the lady in white

Click over to my other blog to know more about the drink. Two thumbs up for the icy cold drink. 15 sticks of pork satay followed and some other things that ended up in my tummy to be digested, all in my other blog.

Anyway, back to Cheryl. We first known each other on the second day of school in Primary One, SRB St. Rita (all girls' school). Why second day? Well, simply because I knew no one on the first day of school and was minding my own business all day, even at the tuition in the afternoon but I noticed one girl in school uniform at the tuition class. As innocent as I could get then, I was wondering why she was in school uniform after school and why couldn't she just changed her clothes like everyone else.

I saw her again the next day at school and was surprised that we were classmates! I went, "Eii??? You were the one at the tuition yesterday afternoon right?" She smiled and said, "Ya hor, you were also at the tuition yesterday afternoon" and we became friends, best friends ever since.

We played together during recess, went to the canteen together, shared the food our moms packed for us during recess, went to the toilet together, copied each other's homework, went for our morning prayers together, etc. She was a bit plump and I was skinny like cicak back then but she sure ran faster than me! We played the usual games that kids our age played, i.e. the aeroplane, rope skipping, eagle and chicken, police and thief, dragon catch, ABC stop, etc and plump little Cheryl beat me in all the games.

Even in sports. We were both chosen to represent the whole Primary Two in long jump during Sports Day. You guessed it, she beat me in that again! LOL! She got the 7th position and I was not far behind. I was in the 8th position. I was not even a bit angry when she beat me in sports and games. I did not know the meaning of envy yet.

Food at the canteen back then were so cheap. We could get two packets Hiong Hiong Mee for 10 cents. That was when the sharing came in. As we were not given much pocket money back then because we usually brought something from home, one of us would go to the canteen and bought 2 packets of that Hiong Hiong Mee and gave one packet to the other. The following day, the other would do the same. I couldn't recall how it started but it seemed like an unwritten sharing among the two of us.

We were very good friends and the other classmates were so envious of us that some Iban girls started to call us lovers. LOL! We were so close that eventually our families got to know each other's family and became friends. Our moms shares their cooking and baking recipes and gardening skills, even until today - her mom specializes in baking biscuit and cakes while my mom specializes in making fruit jelly.

Cheryl and I practically grew up together. We were classmates since Primary One until Form Five. She's one of my friends that I've known all my life. She knows me inside out and vice versa. We know each other so well that when it comes to our personal flaws, we would just accept them as a part of ourselves which make us different from each other.

------------------------------------------

On the side note:
OMG!!! I sounded like a lesbo in this post!

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger CY said...

Haha. Looking at the pic, can't imagine she's the plump one and you're skinny like cicak xD

*runs away*

7:18 PM  
Blogger Wuching said...

ahmmm..so which one is u? left or right?

7:27 PM  
Blogger clement said...

ei.. is she married yet? i heard one of the family member is already married... wuching... who do u think is prettier? ha ha

7:46 AM  
Blogger Kok said...

clare,
Nowadays, we hardly can find a true friend ...

9:04 PM  
Blogger Kok said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:04 PM  
Blogger CLare said...

cy - it's the other way round now, no? Hahaha!

wuching - me on the left

clement - her elder sister got married lah. She's same age as me, baru start working how to marry wor.

kok - very true indeed. To know which one is true friend is easy. They are the ones who stay with you when you are in trouble. She is one true friend.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheryl Here

arr....the blog is about Clare and me? Arent i suppose to be the 1st to give comment??haha.guess like im late....sorry clare, buzy lately so no time to online...U know la..(tao tao online at office)...wa.......the blog remind me of our childhood days,...miss that time so much...it brings smile at my face reading it..haha..
how i wish we can go back time...no stress no worries...but im kind of happy 2 that we are over with that......at least i do not have to fail Matematic/Aditional math miserably and got canned by teacher for not memorizing our spelling test...haha..well.hopefully we can have another gathering together with Belinda and Elaine 2...

10:28 AM  
Blogger CY said...

So happy for both of you! :)

Like Kok says, true friends are a rare find.

10:29 PM  
Blogger clement said...

i know.. she's same age ag me also mah.. ha ha, her dad is rich mah.. ha ha, anyway... cheryl got any blog?

12:27 AM  
Blogger CLare said...

Cheryl - glad you dropped by. I hope so too.

cy - thanks

clement - if you know then why you asked if she's married yet ler? no, she ain't got blog.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home