Kampua Talk: Women's IV Debating Tournament

Kampua Talk

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Women's IV Debating Tournament

I disappeared from the blogsphere to attend the Women's IV Debating Tournament held in Multimedia University (MMU) at Cyberjaya. The Students' Affair Department sent us there in a van all the way from UUM.

The biggest disappointment about Cyberjaya is that there are so little road signs anywhere. We ended up kind of lost in Cyberjaya in search for MMU. When we finally reached, we expected to be led to the place where the debate would be held but we were lost in their Faculty of Engineering. No directions given anywhere around the university.

To make the long story short, we somehow somewhat found our way. They had started the briefing session in one of the lecture hall when we entered. UUM sent two teams for the debate. The first team, UUM A, consisted of senior debators while the second team, UUM B, only two members, the junior debators. I was in UUM B. They found us a 'swing' to complete our team.

Left to right: Clare, Fazlin (swing) and Vivien

We were against UTMara Tulips for our first round as the government. Both of the teams agreed on the motion "This House Believe That The Father's Consent Is Required For Abortions".

I did pretty okay for a first-timer but I was way under-time. Somehow, we lost to UTMara Tulips. Well, it's not about winning or losing in debating, we were all there to learn.

For the second round, we were against UNITEN A as the opposition for the motion "The House Would Include Homosexuality In Schools' Sex Education". I did better this time round and I confidently shot them to the ground during the rebuttal and I did not have any POIs at all. We won this round.

We were against UTMara Roses for our third round - the silent round, as the opposition for the motion "This House Believe That The Impetus For Nuclear Disarmament Lies With The First World". The motions given practically screwed everybody and I screwed up my speech and know no nuts about what the hell I was crapping about until one point, I contradicted my point with my first speaker and I am pretty sure that we lost big time for this round.

For the fourth round-another silent round, we were against UNITEN A again for the motion "This House Would Ban Models Below The Healthy BMI" as the government. We were pretty confident then we would win.

Somewhat, we did not make it to the semi final, both UUM teams. But I learnt a lot from the debate. I'll go into that in my next post though.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Jannah said...

Congrats in making the debate team. The bright side to this is you get to travel out of UUM when the first water shortage started. I decided to run off to a friend's house in Penang. Been here since Monday :)

12:36 PM  
Blogger CY said...

Great! You got the right attitude :D

2:28 PM  
Blogger clement said...

i hate to debate myself, but i can be the best critique ever!! because my uni debate team is really kns, and ah beng-ism is so apparent there... i mean among the chinese, the indians are good la.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Observer said...

I didn't our uni is so open..debate on homosexuality.... freaking cool !!

3:13 PM  
Blogger CLare said...

Jannah - Good for you too, hope you enjoyed yourself! =>

CY - Thanks!

clement - My uni debate team also KNS, no chinese except me and the other gal lor, but that gal ar....sigh! You know what I mean lah, but the others are Indians and they are good!

freethinker - we got a lot more funny and open topic lah...yes, i agree with you, those topics are indeed COOL!

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home